New procedure for travel on buses: September 2011
On the 14th September National Express Buses and the other major bus operators will be launching a new procedure to clarify the rules relating to the transport of mobility scooters on local bus services.
In summary, mobility scooter owners will be issued with a special permit for travel (shown below) which will allow them to travel on NX or participating operators buses.
- The permit will be personalised for the individual passenger and only issued after the scooter has been authorised and the user has received appropriate training.
- Only certain types of scooter will be permitted on buses.
- The permit is NOT a form of payment ; the passenger must pay cash or show a valid travelcard or concessionary pass, which should be recorded in the normal way.
- The pass does not entitle the passenger to any priority over other passengers.
- The wheelchair / pushchair / mobility scooter bays are available to all passengers on a first come, first served basis. Drivers are requested to ask passengers to move if a mobility scooter (or wheelchair user) wishes to board.
- Mobility Scooters are not allowed on NX buses unless the passenger has and shows the valid permit to the driver.
Illustration showing the front and back of a Mobility Scooter Permit.
Full details of the scheme are set out in the CPT Code for the Use and Acceptance of Mobility Scooters on Low Floor Buses leaflet (PDF) or the Wheelchair, Buggy and Mobility Scooter Guidance section.
For any enquiries please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 0121 254 7211