Blind & Disabled Concessionary Passes
What is The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme?:
- Gives all eligible people with a disability free travel on local buses only anywhere in England between the hours of 09:30 and 23:00 Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
- Each pass bears the 'English Rose' graphic and also the name of the issuing authority.
- Details of any enhancements offered will be available from the local authority who issued the pass. Centro offer cards to those people living within the West Midlands County (Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Solihull, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton).
- Holders of passes with a 'Centro' logo on them are also entitled to free travel on the Metro (tram) and on trains operating within the Network West Midlands area.
Using your pass on 'Smart' buses:
Using your Concessionary Travel Pass is easy (you can even keep the pass in its wallet).
Simply touch the pass flat onto the reader. You only need to do this once - when you board the bus.
When you place your pass onto the reader you should see a green light and hear a beep - this shows that your pass is working correctly.
You should be ready to show your Concessionary Travel Pass to authorised staff or ticket inspectors if requested at any time during your journey.
Can I use my pass on the Metro or on the train?
- YES - if your pass was issued by Centro, it is also valid on Metro trams and trains within the Network West Midlands area. Travel on Metro and trains within the Network West Midlands area is a benefit provided by Centro. If your pass is valid on the tram or train, show it to the conductor or ticket inspector (if they ask to see it).
- NO - holders of passes issued by other local authorities are required to pay for their Metro tram journeys and train journeys within the Network West Midlands area. Passengers not holding a valid ticket or pass will be liable to pay a penalty fare.
Applying for your pass:
For people living within the West Midlands County:
If you live in the West Midlands County (Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Solihull, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton) your pass will be issued by Centro. Application is by post, application forms are available from:
- Network Travel and Information Centres at Birmingham New Street Station, Coventry Pool Meadow Bus Station and Wolverhampton Bus Station.
- Centro ticketing team (call 0845 303 6730)
- Forms can also be downloaded from the Network West Midlands website
For people living outside of the West Midlands County:
Your concessionary travel pass will be issued by the authority who administers your local concessionary travel scheme. The Department for Transport website lists details of Bus Concession Pass providers in England.
Lost and damaged cards:
If your pass was issued by Centro please contact their ticketing concessionary department on 0845 303 6760 to arrange for a replacement.
Replacement Concessionary cards can be ordered and paid for over the phone or at the Centro Travel Centre at New Street Rail Station.
All replacement tickets will be posted 1st class and should be received within 5 working days.
Holders of passes issued by other local authorities will need to contact their own issuing authority.
For more details about the Blind & Disabled National Pass please see the Network West Midlands website or contact the Centro ticketing team:
- By phone: 0845 303 6760 (Opening hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday)
- By post: The Ticketing Delivery Team, Centro House, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3TR
Last updated: January 2014