What is the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme?
- Gives all older people in England free travel on local buses between the hours of 09:30 and 23:00 Monday to Friday and all day Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays
- Passes in a new ‘smart card’ format have been issued to existing users by their local authorities.
- Individual local authorities may specify enhancements to the scheme within their own local areas. Details of any enhancements offered will be available from the local authority who issued the pass.
- In the case of people living within the West Midlands County (Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Solihull, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton) the issuing authority is Centro and passes will carry the ‘Centro’ logo.
- Holders of passes with a ‘Centro’ logo on them are also entitled to free travel on the Metro (tram) and on trains operating within the Network West Midlands area.
Using your pass on 'Smart' buses:
Using your Concessionary Travel Pass is easy (you can even keep the pass in its wallet).
Simply touch the pass flat onto the reader. You only need to do this once - when you get on the bus.
You should see a green light and hear a beep when you place your pass onto the reader - this shows that your pass is working.
You should be ready to show your pass to authorised staff or ticket inspectors if requested at any time during your journey.
Can I use my pass on the Metro or on the train?
- YES - If your pass was issued by Centro - you can also use it on Midland Metro trams and trains within the Network West Midlands area. Show your pass to the conductor or ticket inspector when asked.
- NO - Holders of passes issued by other local authorities - are required to pay for their Metro tram journeys and train journeys within the Network West Midlands area. Passengers not holding a valid ticket or pass will be liable to pay a penalty fare.
Applying for your pass:
For people living within the West Midlands County:
If you live in the West Midlands County (Birmingham, Coventry, Dudley, Solihull, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton) your pass will be issued by Centro.
Download an application form from the Network West Midlands website
For people who live outside of the West Midlands County:
Your concessionary travel pass will be issued by the authority who administers your local concessionary travel scheme.
Lost and damaged cards:
If your pass was issued by Centro please contact the Centro Concessions Team on 0345 303 6760 for a replacement.
Holders of passes issued by other local authorities will need to contact their own issuing authority.
For more details about the Older Peoples National Concessionary Pass please see the Network West Midlands website or contact the Centro ticketing team:
- By phone: 0345 303 6760 (Opening hours: 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday to Friday)
- By post: The Ticketing Delivery Team, Centro House, 16 Summer Lane, Birmingham, B19 3TR
Last updated: January 2014